February Field-day – Taranaki overnighter
This has become a popular annual event and a highlight on the Central Districts field-day calendar. A two-day format, where we visit an array of diverse and interesting horticultural properties in the Taranaki region.
- Date –
- Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th February 2014
- Time –
- 10 am start at ‘Return to Earth’ Colson Road Refuse Dump, New Plymouth. [Located at Colson Road-end]
- Bring –
- Your sleeping requirements and enough food rations for two lunches, one breakfast and an evening meal on Saturday. As an option, a restaurant facility is available at the motel for dinner on Saturday night and Sunday morning breakfast.
- Accommodation –
- Sentry Hill Truckstop Motel – 56 Mountain Road, State Hwy 3A N.P www.sentryhill.co.nz
Provision is available for motorhomes/caravans and tents.
An overnight ‘block-booking’ has been arranged for our group.
- Saturday –
- 10am – ‘Return to Earth’, a commercial composting facility based at the Colson Road refuse dump. Turning green matter into wonderful compost.
12.30pm – Natural Fare Hydroponics, 456 Corbett Road, NP (Russell Jordan). A well established producer growing salad greens, flowers and herbs. Supplying Nth Island outlets and eateries.
2.30pm – Jim & Alison’s property, Holly Oak Tce., NP (off Junction Road – State Hwy. 3). A bedding and vegetable seedling operation supplying Taranaki garden centres.
- Sunday –
- 9am – Michielsen’s Tree Nursery, Waitara Road, Brixton NP.
Deciduous tree propagation specialists, including fruit trees. Three tree blocks to visit.
12pm – Brian & Sandra’s property, Mountain Road [State Hwy 3A] NP. A commercial tamarillo orchard with around 4500 trees in production. An insight into ‘psyllid’ damage/control. We lunch at this property.